Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)

  1. Overview
  2. Minimum and Maximum Contributions
  3. Publications
  4. Forms

Plan Overview

Note: Fellows, Scholars, Graduate Interns/Trainees, and Post-Doctoral Fellows/Trainees are not eligible to enroll.


The Flexible Spending Account allows employees to set aside pre-tax income for eligible medical, dependent care, transit and/or parking expenses.

  • Medical Expense Account covers eligible expenses not reimbursed by any medical, dental, or vision care plan.
  • Limited Purpose Medical Expense Account (LPFSA) covers eligible expenses not reimbursed by any dental and vision care plan. Employees may enroll in the LPFSA while enrolled in a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) and a Health Savings Account (HSA).
  • Dependent Care Account covers eligible expenses for the physical care of the dependent, either inside or outside the home.
  • Transit and Parking:
    • The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act passed by the Federal Government, effective January 1, 2018 made changes related to qualified transportation fringe benefits.
    • Commuter Benefits: Effective June 1, 2018 payroll deductions will change from pre-tax to post-tax.
    • Parking and Transit Accounts: Effective June 1, 2018 the accounts will not be offered to new participants. Current participants will not have additional payroll deductions.

Participants: Plan year is from January 1 of current year — December 31 of current year. If you have unused monies left in your Healthcare or Limited Purpose FSA on December 31, up to $500 will carry over to the following plan year. Anything over $500 will be lost. You will have until March 30, to file your previous year's claims.

Learn More

FSA Accounts

UW's Client/Employer ID is 4607-6190-4348
UW Specific Customer Care at (608)316-2408, toll free (844)786-3947
Vendor: TASC

TASC Mobile Application

How to install and the features available with the TASC Mobile App

Administered by

WI Department of Employee Trust Funds (ETF)

FSA Minimum and Maximum Contributions

The minimum contribution for both accounts is $100.

The maximum contribution for 2018 is:
$2,600 in a Healthcare Flexible Spending Account.
$2,600 in a Limited Purpose Flexible Spending Account.
$5,000 in a Dependent Care Reimbursement Account. (restrictions may apply)

Dependent Care Reimbursement Account contributions are subject to the following guidelines:

  • If you file your income taxes as “head of household” or “married, filing jointly” you can put up to $5,000 a year into your account. Note: If you and your spouse establish separate Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts, the combined total may not exceed $5,000.
  • If either you or your spouse earn less than $5,000 a year, you can deposit only as much as the lower of the two incomes.
  • If you are married, but file a separate federal income tax return, you may deposit a maximum of $2,500 to your Dependent Care Reimbursement Account.
  • Note: If your spouse is a full-time student or incapable of selfcare, your maximum is $3,000 a year for one dependent and $5,000 a year for two or more dependents.
  • If you have only one eligible child, your maximum for IRS tax credit is $3,000, but you may set aside up to $5,000 through ERA if your tax filing status allows.

Note: The Dependent Care account is not for medical expenses incurred by dependents.

Enrollment and Forms


Submit paper enrollment to your payroll & benefits office if unable to enroll online.

Reimbursement | Submit to TASC