Employee Reimbursement Accounts (ERA)

  1. Overview
  2. Minimum and Maximum Contributions
  3. Publications
  4. Forms

Plan Overview

Description: The plan allows you to set aside pre-tax income for eligible medical and/or dependent care expenses.

  • Medical Expense Account covers eligible expenses not reimbursed by any medical, dental or vision care plan.
  • Dependent Care Account covers eligible expenses for the physical care of the dependent, either inside or outside the home.

Learn More

More Information

WageWorks Mobile App

Check balances and submit claims and receipts with the WageWorks EZ Receipts mobile app

Administered by

WI Department of Employee Trust Funds (ETF)


ERA Minimum and Maximum Contributions

The minimum contribution for both accounts is $100.

The maximum contribution is:
$2500 in a Medical Expense Reimbursement Account.
$5000 in a Dependent Care Reimbursement Account.

Dependent Care Reimbursement Account contributions are subject to the following guidelines:

  • If you file your income taxes as “head of household” or “married, filing jointly” you can put up to $5000 a year into your account. Note: If you and your spouse establish separate Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts, the combined total may not exceed $5000.
  • If either you or your spouse earn less than $5000 a year, you can deposit only as much as the lower of the two incomes.
  • If you are married, but file a separate federal income tax return, you may deposit a maximum of $2500 to your Dependent Care Reimbursement Account.
  • Note: If your spouse is a full-time student or incapable of selfcare, your maximum is $3000 a year for one dependent and $5000 a year for two or more dependents.
  • If you have only one eligible child, your maximum for IRS tax credit is $3000, but you may set aside up to $5,000 through ERA if your tax filing status allows.

Note: The Dependent Care account is not for medical expenses incurred by dependents.


Note: Use Adobe Reader to open and complete PDF forms.
MAC Users: Do not use "Preview", a PDF reader.

Application | Submit to your Payroll & Benefits Office

Change In Status | Submit to Fringe Benefits Management Company

Reimbursement | Submit to WageWorks

Online Claims Submission

Claims also can be submitted online through the WageWorks website.