Overview of the Classified Human Resources Information System - CHRIS
A. Setting Up Your Workstation
Before you logon to the system for the first time you may have to load a plug-in if you don't have it already. Please refer to this site for setup instructions: Links for OHR Information Systems.
If you are not comfortable with software installation, ask your technical support person for assistance.
NOTE: After installation of JInitiator,
be sure to CLOSE ALL BROWSER WINDOWS before opening the browser again
to go to the CHRIS url!!!
5). Select the Help button for detailed information about the particular screen you are on.
1). HR staff access the system by logging on to CHRIS-HR. If you do not yet have authorization to access CHRIS-HR and wish to, contact the Certification Staff in the Classified Personnel Office.
NOTE: HR staff should normally logon through CHRIS-HR even if they plan on entering HR Transactions for their department or division instead of having supervisors do it. However, if you want to create a transaction and have a supervisor update it, logon as a supervisor would above, create a profile there (if you don't have one) with a full 7-character UDDS, name the supervisor as a proxy, and then create the transaction.
3). The first time logging on to CHRIS at this site, you will be asked to create a CHRIS profile. Follow the instructions for Creating a CHRIS Profile.
4). After saving your profile, among other options, you will be given the choice of returning to the CHRIS Main Menu. Return to the CHRIS Main Menu.
5). See CHRIS-HR Main Menu for all the options available after logon.
6). Select the Help button labeled for detailed information about the particular screen you are on.
A. The CHRIS System takes advantage of a menu bar at the top of the various screens. The design mimics the standard menu layout of Windows-based applications; e.g., Edit contains Create New, Save, Print, and Exit, among other options; Window displays all windows that are open and is helpful in locating windows that are hidden or minimized.
B. The various options are available depending on the screen that is displayed, the authorization of the person logged on, and the status of a given record.
C. System users should familiarize themselves with the various selections.
D. Please click on MENU SELECTIONS for a more detailed description of the various options.
· A supervisor (or representative) logs on through the CHRIS URL to create a new HR Transaction, either from a blank form or by copying an existing HR Transaction.
· Upon submittal by the supervisor, Department HR staff will be notified of the creation of the HR Transaction. (For most divisions, department level HR staff are not part of this process and submittals go directly to division HR staff).
NOTE: All HR staff access the HR Transactions by logging on through CHRIS - HR.
· Upon review and approval by the Department HR staff, Division HR staff will be notified.
· Upon review and approval by the Division HR staff, a CHRIS position vacancy record (Cert) will be created and CPO HR staff become the responsible group. The normal CHRIS procedures are then followed.
· If the UW does not have delegation for a title, review and approval by CPO staff will cause the HR Transaction to be sent to DER for review and approval.
For an LTE: A selected applicant can be entered before the original submittal
of the LTE Transaction, or after. If after, only applicant data will be allowed
to be updated. Then the applicant is
· For more details on this process, please see HR Transaction SUBMITTAL, APPROVAL AND REJECTION.
1). Supervisor (or representative) - creates an HR Transaction and submits it to employing unit HR staff for approval.
2). Department HR Staff - Review HR Transaction and modify and approve, or reject it. (For most divisions, department level HR staff are not part of this process).
3). Division HR Staff - Review HR Transaction and modify and approve, or reject it. Also process CHRIS vacancy records created from the HR Transaction.
4). CPO HR Specialists - Review HR Transaction and modify and approve, or reject it. Review and approve project position justification. Also process CHRIS vacancy records created from the HR Transaction.
5). DER HR Staff - In the future may review HR Transaction and modify and approve, or reject it.
C. Business Rules - The business rules followed during the lifecycle of the electronic HR Transaction are the same as for the prior paper process. The application is able to enforce those rules and supports the general workflow for HR Transaction and position vacancy processing.
D. Hard Copy Position Descriptions - With the implementation of E-PD, only two paper copies of the PD are required by CPO: the original signed copy and a duplicate of that. One of these goes in the Personnel File; the other goes to the employee.
Note: No paper copies of an LTE transaction are required by CPO.
The screens in the CHRIS system are designed to display discrete functions or logical groups of data related to the HR Transaction process. Each tab represents one of those logical groups. In some cases those groups have sufficient data that they had to be broken into multiple screens; again tabs are used for access.
Screen size is set to fit on a 15" monitor with the bottom task bar displayed and the resolution at 800x600. As it is difficult to accommodate all possible monitor sizes and resolutions, this compromise will hopefully satisfy the needs of the most users. Resolutions that produce larger fonts and screen sizes may create additional scroll bars on the CHRIS windows (so you can scroll to the area not displayed) and cause some of the text to not fit in their designed areas (e.g., on a button).
The direct spell check functionality will not be available until the application server software can be upgraded. Hopefully, that will be sooner than later.
A temporary way to spell check an HR Transaction is:
1. Display the PD (or other report) in PDF format using the CHRIS print facility.
2. Enable the PDF Text Select Tool from the tool bar. It is usually a capital 'T' close to the Hand Tool which has a hand icon.
3. Do a Control+A to select all the text of the PD.
4. Do a Control+C to copy all the text of the PD.
5. Go do a blank Word document and do a paste.
6. Run the Word spellchecker (F7) or just review the PD in Word format for misspelled words. The text will have lost its formatting but the misspelled words can still be picked out by color as in a standard Word document (assuming the preferences are set appropriately).
The steps here may vary depending on the version of Acrobat Reader on a given machine and whether using Netscape or Internet Explorer.
Saving data on the Profile and CHRIS screens is done in multiple ways:
A. Select SAVE under the FILE option on the menu bar.
B. Press the SAVE button where available.
C. Clicking a tab to go to a different screen automatically does a save.
D. Closing the window or exiting the system automatically does a save.
A. Select CLOSE WINDOW under the FILE option on the menu bar to close a given window.
B. Click on the 'X' in the upper right corner of the window to close a given window.
C. If the window being closed in any of the above ways is the last CHRIS window open, a message will ask if you want to close the window and leave the CHRIS system.
D. To close all windows and exit the CHRIS system select EXIT CHRIS SYSTEM under the FILE option on the menu bar. A confirmation screen will appear asking if you really want to exit the system.
E. Appropriate error checks are done whenever closing a window where data can be entered.