University of Wisconsin - Madison
Position Vacancy Listing
|Please Note: A change was made to this position announcement on 03/04/16
Degree and area of specialization:
|Asst Dean of Students/Director International Student Services
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
|A Masters degree from an accredited college or university is required.
|1. At least six years of professional and progressively more responsible experience in the field of higher education international students services.
2. At least three years of experience supervising professional staff members.
3. Demonstrated knowledge of federal immigration regulations and procedures including experience working with and advising F and J non-immigrant student visa holders.
4. Budget and financial management experience.
5. U.S. citizenship or legal permanent residence (required by Federal regulation)
1. Prior experience as a DSO or PDSO.
2. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
3. A collaborator who regularly reaches out to others and forms productive partnerships.
4. Student-centered attitude and behaviors.
5. Exceptional ability to coalesce a department around a progressive mission and vision.
6. Understanding of large research-intensive higher education settings with strong shared-governance orientation.
|Leadership of International Student Services & Programs 85%
1. Serve as Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) for SEVIS certifications, mandatory reporting to appropriate federal agencies, and immigration advising for international students.
2. Coordinate the development and maintenance of record and data management systems compliant with Federal DHS immigration regulations.
3. Provide vision, leadership, long-term strategic planning and assessment that results in an array of quality curricula, programs and services which:
a. Teach skills students recognize as important to their occupational future
b. Expand cultural understanding, awareness, and competency
c. Develop leadership competencies
d. Increase global and multi-identity social justice awareness and competency
e. Increase faculty, staff, student, alumni, and community involvement with international students
4. Manage overall recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of professional staff including an associate director, two assistant directors, five advisors, one and half program coordinators, and two support staff.
5. Manage an annual budget of approximately $900,000.
6. Advise other University units about federal and other regulations affecting international students.
7. Advocate and partner for full inclusion of international students in campus life.
8. Contribute to the international student services/education field and maintain contact with peer international student service offices.
Division of Student Life Responsibilities 15%
1. Advance the mission, vision, and strategic priorities of the division and campus.
2. Actively lead at the divisional and campus level including participation in a campus level on-call rotation, work-groups, committees, and fund raising efforts.
3. Represent the Vice Provost for Student Life and Dean of Students and/or division.
| ||The mission of the Division of Student Life is to cultivate, advance, and interconnect the academic, professional, personal, and social development of students and to champion a respectful, globally aware and diverse university community.
We actively advance social justice through our work and purposefully strive to offer an affirming environment for all. We are committed to creating working, learning, and living environments in which everyone has the opportunity to develop their potential and contribute fully to the university community.
The Assistant Dean of Students and Director of International Student Services (ISS) oversees a department that supports approximately 6,000 international students. This position has a significant leadership role for the campus and division and reports to an Associate Dean in the Division of Student Life. The department and division are equal opportunity/affirmative action employers, promote excellence through diversity, and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
More information about ISS and DSL at UW-Madison may be found at http://iss.wisc.edu/ and http://www.students.wisc.edu/ respectively.
This is a management level position with an attractive benefits package including: medical, dental, vision coverage, life insurance, a contributory retirement plan, paid vacation and holidays.
|A criminal background check will be conducted prior to hiring.
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION
|Full Time Salary Rate:||Minimum $85,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
|Anticipated begin date:||JULY 01, 2016
|Number of Positions:||1
HOW TO APPLY:
|Application must be received by: MARCH 24, 2016
|In order to apply, applications must be submitted online at https://uwjobapply.wisc.edu/Apply.aspx?pvl=85343
Applications must be received by the deadline to ensure full consideration. Applications received after the posted deadline date may be considered. Applicants should apply online by submitting a current resume and a cover letter that addresses how their experiences and skills match the qualifications and responsibilities of this position.
|Questions about the position can be directed to:
|Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
If you need to request an accommodation because of a disability you can find information about how to make a request at the following website: http://www.oed.wisc.edu/478.htm
NOTE: Please indicate in writing if you request that your identity be kept confidential. If you do not indicate your preference to remain confidential, the University may be required to disclose your identify and/or application materials. The identity of finalists and successful candidates will be revealed upon request. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.