University of Wisconsin - Madison
Position Vacancy Listing
Degree and area of specialization:
|INFORM PROCESS CONSLT(S44DN) or ASSOC INF PROC CONSLT(S44FN)
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
|Bachelor's degree in Instructional Design, Educational Technology or other closely related field. Master's degree preferred.
|- One to three years of experience developing online content
- Experience contributing to a successful team environment
- Experience in a customer service capacity
- Experience working in a higher education setting
|The Instructional Technologist works in the UW-Madison Division of Continuing Studies and is part of the Educational Innovation team working to increase online professional master's degrees and post-baccalaureate certificates. Educational Innovation is a coordinated effort to create a sustained campus environment that maintains and enhances student learning while improving capacities and generating new resources.
Areas of responsibility for this position include online course content development, course revision, instructor support, and innovative technology application.
50% Development of customized online learning products:
- Develop dynamic online learning materials using best practices in web design, Section 508 Accessibility standards, re-usable templates (CSS) and state-of-the-art pedagogical techniques in collaboration with UW instructional staff and faculty for online delivery.
- Assist with or lead the design and development of online learning products including multimedia components (audio, video, animations, etc.)
- Assist with or lead the design and development of online documentation for existing systems or topics to be learned.
- Deployment and management of course content and websites pages in the learning management system.
- Pilot promising technologies in online courses, collect student and instructor feedback and evaluate the results and make recommendations regarding adoption or discontinuation.
- Manage small e-learning projects and the team members on these projects.
- Prepare development plans, status reports, and other business documents.
30% Instructional Design:
- Meet with customers to clarify objectives, functional/data requirements, and other project considerations for customized projects.
- Analyze instructional design and delivery requirements for given projects, including high-level designs and technical approaches.
- Assist with or lead the layout of Learning Management System (LMS)-based online courses ISD plan utilizing the LMS features (chat, quizzing, gradebook, presentation areas, content organization, listservs, etc.)
- Assist in evaluating the effectiveness of course layout and use student and instructor feedback for improvements
10% Instructor Support:
- Provide technology coaching/mentoring for online faculty and instructors: both in one-on-one situations and with small groups.
- Provide live support for faculty and instructors teaching online courses.
- Assist instructors having difficulty using Learn@UW or direct them to appropriate IT support if needed.
- Anticipate common live support needs by publishing tutorials or frequently asked questions for faculty, instructors to access for self-help
5% Professional Development:
- Maintain awareness of current trends and practices to enhance student engagement in online courses.
- Attend professional development opportunities: apply and share acquired expertise with colleagues
5% Other duties as assigned
| ||Desired Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of learning theories and the demonstrated ability to translate these into effective online instruction
- Knowledge of instructional design models and the ability to implement them
- Excellent consultative skills in working with instructors to design and develop digital content
- Ability to design, develop, and deliver effective online instructor support
- Ability to work on multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of Windows operating system and Microsoft Office software
- Working knowledge of D2L or similar courseware
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of HTML coding
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to think clearly, creatively and logically to solve problems
- Ability to work well with supervisors, coworkers, and other members of the university community
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Experience working with adult students
- Experience with development tools for creating online content
- Teaching and/or training experience
- A commitment to online learning and higher education
|A criminal background check will be conducted prior to hiring.
A period of evaluation will be required
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION
|Full Time Salary Rate:||Minimum $42,139 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
|Term:||This is a renewable appointment.
|Anticipated begin date:||SEPTEMBER 29, 2014
|Number of Positions:||1
HOW TO APPLY:
|Application must be received by: SEPTEMBER 10, 2014
|Unless another application procedure has been specified above, please send resume and cover letter referring to Position Vacancy Listing #80645 to:
|Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
NOTE: Unless confidentiality is requested in writing, the names of applicants must be released upon request. Finalists cannot be guaranteed confidentiality. In the case where there are fewer than five finalists, the names of the five most qualified candidates must be released upon request.
UW-Madison is required by law to request data from applicants for employment in order to monitor its recruitment and selection practices. In order for us to meet this federal reporting requirement, please go to http://www.oed.wisc.edu/reports-and-forms.htm to fill out the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability Form and the Applicant Self-Identification Form for Protected Veterans. Please reference the Position Vacancy Number when uploading your completed forms. Completing these forms is voluntary and your responses will be kept confidential and is not considered as part of the hiring criteria.
UW-Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.