University of Wisconsin - Madison
Position Vacancy Listing
|Director of Mathematics Courses at WisCEL
Degree and area of specialization:
|FACULTY ASSOCIATE(D92DN) or ASSOC FACULTY ASSOC(D92FN) or ASST FACULTY ASSOC(D92LN)
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
|Master's degree in mathematics or computer science is required; preference will be given to a Ph.D. in mathematics.
|Minimum of 1 year of experience. Preference will be given for more years of experience.
Experience with introductory mathematics courses is required. Preference will be given for experience with blended forms of instruction.
This position is key to the Mathematics Department's involvement with the campus WisCEL Program. The Department sees this involvement with the WisCEL Program important not only in its own right, but also as the venue to help inform the department about other, future learning environments that use cutting edge teaching and blended learning format.
Currently the mathematics program in WisCEL includes the pre-calculus courses (math 095, 101 and 112) and the Summer College Experience (SCE) math course (math 118). This set of courses comprise the current mathematics program in WisCEL, and is subject to change.
(60%) Direct the Mathematics Program in WisCEL
1. Develop and direct the Mathematics program in WisCEL in collaboration with mathematics faculty and also WisCEL Associate Director as appropriate;
2. Meet regularly with the WisCEL Associate Director to plan and coordinate WisCEL scheduling and activities relevant to math courses taught in WisCEL;
3. Coordinate the teaching of courses in the mathematics program in WisCEL. Hold TA meetings at least weekly. Provide regular feedback to TAs;
4. Coordinate and run the day-to-day activities of the mathematics program.
5. Provide student support in terms of policy and exception decisions such as absence, make up exams, grading review, McBurney students, student athletes, concerns, extensions, etc.;
6. Respond to inquiries from undergraduate students and advisors regarding Mathematics program in WisCEL;
7. Coordinate the mathematics courses for Summer Collegiate Experience as part of the Math program in WisCEL.
8. Update and revise teaching materials used in the courses for Mathematics program in WisCEL.
9. Select, train and supervise teaching assistants for all mathematics course taught through the program;
10. Work with other members of the Mathematics Department to help coordinate overall TA training;
11. Work as the software administrator to manage master course set up and review, course set up for student registration, technical support for courseware, and liaison between the math department and the software provider;
12. Oversee collection of student performance data in the courses in the Mathematics program relevant to course evaluation and improvement, including safeguarding such data in ways consistent with FERPA and campus policies;
13. Assist with WisCEL and Mathematics faculty and staff to monitor and interpret data collected on the program for the purpose of program improvement, and to plan and enact revisions to the courses based on such evaluations;
14. Coordinate new instructional technology use with WisCEL technical staff;
Teach three courses per year, at least one of which each semester will be a WisCEL Mathematics course. The third course will be assigned by the associate chair, based on department needs. For all three courses, the instructor responsibilities include preparing, administering and grading exams/other assignments, and holding office hours.
|A criminal background check will be conducted prior to hiring.
A period of evaluation will be required
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION
|Full Time Salary Rate:||Negotiable
ANNUAL (12 months)
|Term:||This is a renewable appointment.
|Anticipated begin date:||AUGUST 01, 2015
|Number of Positions:||1
HOW TO APPLY:
|Application must be received by: JANUARY 15, 2015
|An application packet should include a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, a statement of mathematics teaching philosophy and a detailed history of Mathematics courses taught. Application packets should be submitted electronically to http://www.mathjobs.org. Applicants should also arrange to have three to four letters of recommendation sent to the above url address.
|Unless another application procedure has been specified above, please send resume and cover letter referring to Position Vacancy Listing #79949 to:
|Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
If you need to request an accommodation because of a disability you can find information about how to make a request at the following website: http://www.oed.wisc.edu/478.htm
NOTE: Unless confidentiality is requested in writing, the names of applicants must be released upon request. Finalists cannot be guaranteed confidentiality. In the case where there are fewer than five finalists, the names of the five most qualified candidates must be released upon request.
UW-Madison is required by law to request data from applicants for employment in order to monitor its recruitment and selection practices. In order for us to meet this federal reporting requirement, please go to http://www.oed.wisc.edu/reports-and-forms.htm to fill out the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability Form and the Applicant Self-Identification Form for Protected Veterans. Please reference the Position Vacancy Number when uploading your completed forms. Completing these forms is voluntary and your responses will be kept confidential and is not considered as part of the hiring criteria.
UW-Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.